Manager of VFX Pipelines, Visual Effects, Animation, Special Effects
Are you a Director of Technology, Manager of IT, or experienced Systems Engineer/ Developer with a background in Visual Effects (VFX) or animation? If so, read on, our team would love to get in touch with you!
Our client, an established post-production & visual effects provider, is seeking a Manager of VFX Pipeline. In this role, you'll leverage your vast knowledge of vfx pipelines & rendering, as well as your more general knowledge of IT infrastructure, to fine tune and optimize existing systems, as well as architecting future solutions.
- Analyzing, implementing and evaluating IT systems and their specifications
- Sound understanding of computer systems (hardware/software), networks etc.
- Experience in controlling information technology budget
- Several years’ experience working with particular systems as relevant to your company – for instance Linux
- Designing, developing, testing, and maintaining VFX production pipeline custom software tools and components
- Working with the Pipeline Developers, Technical Directors, CG Supervisors, and other leads/supervisors to help architect solutions (tools and workflow) for pipeline enhancements and fixes Investigating bugs/issues with existing tools, while designing and implementing fixes and features as needed
- Mentoring and providing guidance to junior members of the team
- Assisting in production floor support
- Working directly with artists to investigate and address urgent issues related to custom pipeline tool
- Overseeing all technology operations and evaluating them according to established goals
- Devising and establishing IT policies and systems to support the implementation of strategies set by upper management
- Analyzing the business requirements of all departments to determine their technology needs
- Oversee all technology operations (e.g. network security) and evaluate them according to established goals
- Devise and establish IT policies and systems to support the implementation of strategies set by upper management
- Analyze the business requirements of all departments to determine their technology needs
- Inspect the use of technological equipment and software to ensure functionality and efficiency
- Identifying and recommending new technology solutions
- Identify the need for upgrades, configurations or new systems and report to upper management
- Identifying security vulnerabilities and eliminating them with strategic solutions that increase data security
- Control budget and report on expenditure
- Communicating with the technology team and other departments as collaboration requires
- 7+ years of experience in feature animation or VFX production pipeline technology
- 5+ years of experience in a lead technology role
- a Computer Science Degree (or equivalent), or 7+ years experience in production pipeline technology work
- Proficiency in Python
- Proficiency in Linux shell scripting, specifically bash scripting
- Proficiency using one or more industry-specific vendor software applications: Maya, Katana, Houdini, Nuke, etc.
- Proficiency with one or more vendor Scripting APIs: MEL / Maya Python, Katana, Houdini, Nuke, etc.
- Proficiency with writing Shotgun Python API scripts, as well as managing Shotgun site configurations and Shotgun projects using the Shotgun web UI
- Proficiency working with one or more renderers (e.g. Renderman, Mentalray, Arnold, etc.), and experience with renderer specific file formats (e.g. rib files, “.mi” files)
- Proficiency working with one or more render queue managers (e.g. Deadline, Qube, Tractor, etc.), and experience with writing custom render job submissions
- A strong understanding of production processes and artist workflows within film and television visual effects pipelines
Competitive comp & benefits package DOE