Head of VFX Pipeline Development
Are you a Head of VFX, Head of Pipeline Development or experienced Pipeline Developer with a background in Visual Effects (VFX) or Animation? If so, read on, our team would love to get in touch with you!
Our client is seeking a Head of VFX Pipeline Development who will oversee all technology operations and evaluate them according to established goals. The successful candidate will be responsible for designing, developing, testing, and maintaining VFX production pipeline custom software tools and components. This role works with Pipeline Developers, Technical Directors, CG Supervisors, and other leads/supervisors to help architect solutions (tools and workflow) for pipeline enhancements and fixes.
- Design, develop, test, and maintain VFX production pipeline custom software tools and components
- Work with the Pipeline Developers, Technical Directors, CG Supervisors, and other leads/supervisors to help architect solutions (tools and workflow) for pipeline enhancements and fixes
- Investigate bugs/issues with existing tools, while designing and implementing fixes and features as needed
- Mentor and provide guidance to junior members of the team
- Assist in production floor support
- Work directly with artists to investigate and address urgent issues related to custom pipeline tools
- Analyze the business requirements of all departments to determine their technology needs
- Inspect the use of technological equipment and software to ensure functionality and efficiency
- Identify and recommend new technology solutions and the need for upgrades, configurations or new systems and report to upper management
- Identify security vulnerabilities and eliminating them with strategic solutions that increase data security
- 5+ years of experience in feature animation or VFX production pipeline technology
- 2+ years of experience in a lead TD or other lead technology role a Computer Science Degree (or equivalent), or 7+ years experience in production pipeline technology work
- Proficiency in the following: - Python
- Linux shell scripting, specifically bash scripting
- Industry-specific vendor software applications: Maya, Katana, Houdini, Nuke, etc.
- Vendor Scripting APIs: MEL / Maya Python, Katana, Houdini, Nuke, etc.
- Shotgun Python API scripts, as well as managing Shotgun site configurations and Shotgun projects using the Shotgun web UI
- Working with renderers (e.g. Renderman, Mentalray, Arnold, etc.), and experience with renderer specific file formats (e.g. rib files, “.mi” files
- Working with render queue managers (e.g. Deadline, Qube, Tractor, etc.), and experience with writing custom render job submissions
- A strong understanding of production processes and artist workflows within film and television visual effects pipelines
- Experience in analysis, implementation and evaluation of IT systems and their specifications
- Sound understanding of computer systems (hardware/software), networks etc.
Competitive compensation and benefits package